REPUBLIC OF KENYA

Kenya’s COVID-19 figures surpass 200 mark Nairobi, Monday April 13, 2020

Kenya has surpassed the 200 mark of the confirmed cases of coronavirus after 11 people tested positive today.

The total number of those who have tested positive now stands at 208 persons exactly one month since the government confirmed the first Coronavirus case .

The figures were released by the Cabinet Secretary for Health Mutahi Kagwe, who also confirmed that the 11 people were among the 674 samples that were tested 24 hours ago out of which, six were males and five females aged between one and 42 years.

All the 11 are Kenyans from the Counties of Nairobi (11), Mandera (4), Mombasa (3),  Nairobi (2) Nakuru (1) and Machakos (1). Four of the cases emanated from the mandatory quarantine centers, while 7 were picked by the surveillance teams.

The CS disclosed that 14 more persons have been discharged from hospital and one positive case that was on home-based care has turned negative after the mandatory two tests. “Cumulatively we have 15 new recoveries in the last 24 hours, bringing the total figure of recoveries to 40,” he said .

However, he noted that one more patient has died bringing the number of deaths to nine. So far a total of 2,306 contacts have been monitored, out of which 1,687 have been discharged and  619 contacts are being followed at the moment.

He also clarified that the issue of the victim who died in Siaya County as a result of coronavirus who was hurriedly buried is being addressed with the County government of Siaya in line with public health protocols.

“However, I want to inform the country that moving forward, there shall be challenges in the manner in which we dispose the bodies of our loved ones. I therefore want to ask our people to be mentally prepared, and accept that COVID-19 victim bodies shall be disposed in accordance with the MoH protocol,” he said.

The CS also urged employers to be considerate and not to treat their employees in an inhumane manner by sending them on unpaid leave. He urged the employers to be considerate and to negotiate with their employees during this period.

“We appreciate that times are hard but can you at least consider giving them a minimum requirement to put a meal on their tables,” he appealed.

He also announced that the Government has upscaled the level of preparedness and bought Kshs.140 million worth of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE’s), has tested 8,123 samples from quarantined persons and their contacts, mobilized 500 ventilators for critical care, set up isolation and quarantine facilities and 1,664 isolation beds across the counties among othe interventions.

The Ag. Director General for Health, Dr. Patrick Amoth, added that out of 142 cases admitted in various hospital in the country, 140 are in stable condition and only two are in a  critical condition.

He further said that the government is working hard to ensure that Health care workers do not get exposed by providing all the support and gear to make them comfortable.

Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe addressing a press conference to update the status of COVID–19 at Afya House today and confirmed that more 11 people tested positive making a total of 208 cases in the Country.