REPUBLIC OF KENYA

Government reports 22 new cases of COVID-19 as first case turns negative

 

Nairobi, Wednesday April 1, 2020  

The war against COVID-19 can only be won if Kenyans abide by the measures we have put in place, the Cabinet Secretary for Health, Mutahi Kagwe said today while releasing the results of 22 new cases of those who have tested positive of the disease.

The CS said there is still a lot of work to be done considering there are many Kenyans who are still infected and more others are still getting infected as result of coming into contact with those who have tested positive for the virus.

“We must not relent in the fight against the virus by observing the preventive measures that we have been communicating to you,” he noted.

In the last twenty four hours,  the CS noted that a total of  380 samples have been tested from suspected cases and out of these, 22 people have tested positive for the Coronavirus disease.

“Eighteen of the confirmed cases are Kenyan nationals while four are foreign nationals and two from Pakistan and Cameroon respectively,” he said.

According to the CS, seven of the cases were reported in Mombasa county, Kiambu two cases while Kakamega, Kilifi, machakos, Muranga, Nyamira and Nairobi had one case each.

Today’s data also revealed that 13 cases were males and nine females both between ages 23  to 71. All the confirmed cases were detected in quarantine facilities except one.
Tracing of close contacts of the eighty-one confirmed cases is on-going and so far, the total number of close contacts that are being monitored stands at 1675. Out of this number, CS said 706 have been discharged from contact follow up process after completing the 14 days follow up period while 969 of the confirmed cases are being monitored

“We owe a responsibility to Kenyans particularly those in vulnerable areas  to ensure that we protect them under any circumstance,” he said.

He also cautioned Kenyans to prepare themselves for stiffer measures that the government is going to take in the fight against COVID-19 and also clarified that the government has adopted multi-agency approach to halt the disease.

The fight against the disease , the CS added requires a united effort because this is not the end but the journey has just started . “There is need therefore to educate and unify rather than divide because the disease does not discriminate between the rich and the poor,” he noted.

“Eighty one of us are now positive and the number is growing exponentially, if you  have one person affecting so many people , then you understand that there is a high chance that a person next to you has been exposed, so keep your distance,” he advised.

He also noted that the country has enough support from the international community, including the World Bank which has approved a line credit of USD 50 million. “The major problem which, is global is the shortage of material, and not the money,” he emphasized and noted that the country is now ready to manufacture its own Personal Protective Equipment. .

Speaking during the event the Acting Director General Dr. Patrick Amoth noted that all the  81 patients are doing well, except one who is in critical care  at Aga khan university hospital, but his condition is also improving.

“In the next  three or four days we should be able to announce that potentially there is another patient who could be declared as having been cured of Covid 19,” he added.

Dr. Amoth also explained that  Covid 19 is a viral infection and has no specific treatment.  What is offered  by clinicians is supportive treatment which means responding to symptoms that one is exhibits such as for fever or cough.He revealed that there are many trials that are being undertaken and the most quoted is hydro-chloroquine and a Azithromycin which is locally available .

Meanwhile  the CS noted that today President Uhuru Kenyatta spoke with the 26-year-old Ivy Brenda Cherono who was the first patient to test positive for the Coronavirus after she was discharged from Mbagathi Hospital via teleconference call.

Cherono  was accompanied by Brian Orindi, patient number three who contracted the disease from her, who has also  recovered.

 

Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe addressing a press conference on update of coronavirus at Afya House and confirmed that 22 more people tested positive making a total of 81 cases in the Country.