REPUBLIC OF KENYA

Government warns those moving out of restrict areas Nairobi, Thursday May 7, 2020

 The government is appealing to Kenyans to report to the authorities any persons who recently moved into their neighborhood after the restriction of movement in and out of two estates in Nairobi and Mombasa.

The two estates of Eastleigh in Nairobi and Old Town in Mombasa were locked down for 15 days due to upsurge of Coronavirus cases in their respective areas.

Addressing the media today during the daily COVID-19 briefing  the Chief Administrative Secretary (CAS)  for Health, Dr. Rashid Aman said the government is fully aware that the measures put in those areas may cause some inconveniences but assured the residents that the directives are aimed at protecting all.

“Some people have decided to sneak out of these areas and relocate to the neighboring estates. Let me caution you that this move is counterproductive because if you happen to be infected unknowingly, then you have just transferred the problem to another area,” he warned.

He instead appealed to the residents to continue washing of hands, maintaining social distancing, observing high standards of hygiene, wearing face masks and sanitizing where possible to help to bring back normalcy in these areas.

He also announced that all cross all cross border truck drivers will be required to be tested at the point of origin, and obtain a corona free certificate 48  hours before departure in line with the East African Community (EAC) member states on COVID-19 protocol.

Dr. Rashid also revealed that out of the 1075 samples tested in the last 24 hours, 25 people have tested positive for Coronavirus disease bringing the total number of those who have tested positive to 607.

This number, he added is growing and must be stopped adding that 22 of the positive cases are Kenyans, one is Ugandan, one Tanzanian and one is a Chinese National. The county of Isiolo County becomes the latest to record a Covid-19 case bringing to 18 the number of Counties so far affected.

He noted that 17 of the cases are from Nairobi, 2 from Wajir, 2 from Kajiado and  one each from Mombasa, Migori, Isiolo and Nakuru. In Nairobi  9 cases are from Eastleigh, Kawangware (2), Parklands (2), Riruta (1), South C (1), Umoja (1) and Juja Road (1). In Mombasa the one case is from Likoni, while in Nakuru it is from Solai.

Out of the 25 cases 21 are males and  4 are women both aged between eight years for the youngest and 73 years for the oldest.

The government has also additional 7 new discharges bringing the  total number of those who have recovered from the disease to 197. “We are equally saddened that we have lost 3 patients, two from Nairobi and one from Mombasa bringing to 29 the number of deaths from the disease,” he said.

He also announced that the Government has made plans to evacuate Kenyans who had travelled to India for treatment and that they are expected to land this evening at JKIA. The patients, he explained will be  home quarantined under the care of their medical doctors.

Meanwhile, Dr. Patrick amoth,  Acting Director General, Ministry of Health  said  deaths at community level is a becoming concern for the government.

“Yesterday we had deaths in Mombasa at community level a sign of intense transmission of the disease,  and we have seen a similar pattern  developing in Eastleigh when today we had a community death,” he added.

Deaths that occur at community level, Dr. Amoth  explained are signs that these people have a severe form of the disease therefore there are most symptomatic and thus are heavy shedders of the virus.

Those  who take care of them and those who are in close proximity to them are at a very high risk of acquiring the infection from them  Dr. Amoth said and thus appealed to everyone feeling unwell with any of the signs and symptoms of  covid 19  to call 719 so that the  rapid response team can quickly be able to attend to them .

As of today, the DG said that there are 195 people admitted in the various hospitals with COVID-19.  H also decried the new cases of infections in Migori and Wajir where we are dealing with  import cases from the neighboring countries of  Tanzania and Somalia arguing that the government is putting in place measures to ensure that anybody who comes through the informal border entry point are screened and urged the communities to become gatekeepers and alert  the government.