REPUBLIC OF KENYA

Government confirms seven more cases of coronavirus in Nairobi County Nairobi, March 28, 2020

The Ministry of Health will now institute a mandatory quarantine for all those who will test positive of coronavirus including their contacts.
The announcement was made today by the Cabinet Secretary for Health Mutahi Kagwe when he updated the nation at Afya House.
“Due  to the seriousness of the coronavirus disease and the potential stream on health care resources, it has been deemed necessary for the government to institute mandatory quarantine for those who test positive and their contacts,” he said.
Once you have been identified as a contact to a patient who has tested positive, the Ministry of Health officials will come to your house to escort  you to a  quarantine facility, the CS said.
The purpose of this exercise, the CS said  is for close monitoring
for one’s well-being to safeguard their health and their families and the country at large.
Kagwe disclosed that for the last 24 hours, 81 samples have been analyzed in the laboratories and out of the 81 samples, the government has received confirmation of 7 people who have tested for coronavirus disease.
“The seven include four Kenyans, two Congolese nationals and one Chinese , three are female and four are male,”the CS said.
Kagwe explained that the new confirmed cases brings to total 38 patients who have tested positive for the virus in the country.
Out of the seven cases confirmed today, the CS noted that four had a history of travel from countries with active transmission,  one had travelled to Mombasa  while  two  did not have any history of travel other than contacts.
The CS assured the country that the first patient and the third patient of the confirmed cases have tested negative on their first retesting and were waiting for a repeat test which is scheduled after 48 hours.
“We remain  hopeful that the repeat test will be negative confirming full recovery to allow for their discharge from our treatment centre,” Kagwe said.
The CS also explained that all the seven cases confirmed today are from Nairobi county making it the leading with 28 cases of those who have tested positive, followed by Kilifi which has six, Mombasa has 2 and Kwale and kajiado have one each respectively.
“Out of the 38 positive cases, 21 are male while 16 are female”, Kagwe said adding that  tracing of contacts for the 38 confirmed is ongoing and the total number of the contacts stands at 1141.
The Government has tested 1141 cases, out of which 163 have been discharged after completing the mandatory 14 day follow up period, and currently the teams are monitoring 978 close contacts. Three are admitted at Mbagathi hospital awaiting test results.
Todate, 833 persons have been tested for the coronavirus disease and from tomorrow the government will also embark on  a mas testing for all those persons who  arrived in the country last week and are currently  under mandatory quarantine in various  designated hotels and  government facilities.
“From tomorrow  we shall embark on mass testing for those who arrived last week and are under mandatory quarantine according to WHO guidelines,” he disclosed.
The CS urged Kenyans to practice self discipline which is a key factor in ensuring coronavirus diseases is contained.
Following confirmation of the seven cases from Nairobi today, the CS said there is no estate in Nairobi now that has not been touched by this coronavirus  thus  the best defense for all is to keep distance from the person next to you.

 

 

Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe addressing press conference on update of coronavirus-19 and confirmed seven more cases tested positive from Nairobi County today at Afya House.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Contact Us

Ministry of Health,
Afya House, Cathedral Road,
P.O. Box:30016–00100, Nairobi, Kenya.

Telephone: +254-20-2717077
Email: ps@health.go.ke